[Pedagogy-list] FW: [AllFaculty-list] invitation to "Got Voice?" - a moderated town hall meeting on free expression

Hocutt, Daniel dhocutt at richmond.edu
Wed Jan 30 10:40:56 EST 2019

[cross-posted]

All,

This is an opportunity to have our voices heard as adjunct professors and instructors.

Regards,
Daniel

—
Daniel L. Hocutt, R’92 & G’98
Web Manager & Adjunct Professor
School of Professional & Continuing Studies
Special Programs Building 215
University of Richmond, VA 23173
o. (804) 287-6658 f. (804) 289-8138
dhocutt at richmond.edu<mailto:dhocutt at richmond.edu>

Community Coordinator,
SPCS Pedagogy Community of Practice<http://blog.richmond.edu/pedagogy>

From: <allfaculty-list-bounces at richmond.edu> on behalf of "Berry, Jane" <jberry at richmond.edu>
Date: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 8:58 AM
To: "allfaculty-list at richmond.edu" <allfaculty-list at richmond.edu>
Subject: [AllFaculty-list] invitation to "Got Voice?" - a moderated town hall meeting on free expression

Dear Members of the University Community,

I write to invite you to Got Voice?, a campus-wide town hall meeting on free expression. The purpose of the event is to solicit, listen to, and learn about the range of viewpoints surrounding free expression held by members of our campus community. Serious concerns regarding free expression were expressed last fall when Ryan Anderson came to campus. Additional concerns were raised during the fall semester when the Faculty Senate deliberated on how to handle a proposal from the Richmond College and Westhampton College Student Government Associations to adopt a statement on free expression for the University of Richmond. Further, a motion recommending that the President and Provost create a task force to explore the issue of freedom of expression at Richmond was withdrawn at the November 16, 2018 meeting of the Senate, in the wake of more voiced concerns. In place of that motion, the option to hold community-wide conversations surrounding freedom of expression was adopted, with the goal to listen first to the range of points of view held on our campus before considering whether to charge a working group or task force to take up the issue. President Crutcher offered the support of his office to help organize and facilitate these conversations, commencing spring 2019. As such, and in my capacity as University Faculty Senate President, I have worked closely with Glyn Hughes, who co-chairs the Interim Coordinating Council for Thriving, Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity (ICC/TIDE) with Patricia Herrera and Julian Hayter. We have created this campus-wide meeting on free expression to revisit questions and concerns that were raised last fall, and to take up new ones.

The format is a moderated panel in a town-hall setting, open to the university community. The panel is comprised of faculty, staff, and students who represent a range of views on free expression. Professor Hank Chambers of the Law School will moderate the panel. You may RSVP by submitting your questions and comments regarding free expression here<https://facultysenate.richmond.edu/meetings/free-speech-rsvp.html>. We will also take questions and comments from the floor during the event. Light refreshments will be served.

Event:               Got Voice?