[Pedagogy-list] Article on the "Spacing Effect" for retention

Wittig, Carol cwittig at richmond.edu
Fri Jan 4 13:50:22 EST 2019

Mike and all – great article and it reminded me of a pedagogy-book club choice from a few years ago – Small Teaching by James Lang.  It’s very readable – and even your 15 year old might enjoy it as I know a few faculty  included it in their students’ readings.

https://librarycat.richmond.edu/vwebv/holdingsInfo?bibId=1893472

From the summary –it highlights how we can change small things – taking advantage of cognitive theory – to make a difference in how students learn and retain information.

Employ cognitive theory in the classroom every day

Research into how we learn has opened the door for utilizing cognitive theory to facilitate better student learning. But that's easier said than done. Many books about cognitive theory introduce radical but impractical theories, failing to make the connection to the classroom. In Small

Teaching, James Lang presents a strategy for improving student learning with a series of modest but powerful changes that make a big difference--many of which can be put into practice in a single class period. These strategies are designed to bridge the chasm between primary research and the classroom environment in a way that can be implemented by any faculty in any discipline, and even integrated into pre-existing teaching techniques. Learn, for example:
·
·        -How does one become good at retrieving knowledge from memory?
·        -How does making predictions now help us learn in the future?
·        -How do instructors instill fixed or growth mindsets in their students?

Each chapter introduces a basic concept in cognitive theory, explains when and how it should be employed, and provides firm examples of how the intervention has been or could be used in a variety of disciplines. Small teaching techniques include brief classroom or online learning activities, one-time interventions, and small modifications in course design or communication with students. (less)<https://librarycat.richmond.edu/vwebv/holdingsInfo?searchId=553&recCount=25&recPointer=0&bibId=1893472#less>

Carol
~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
Carol Wittig
Head, Research & Instruction / Boatwright Library
FYS Instructor and Adjunct Assistant Professor, SPCS
Boatwright Library, Rm. 179, University of Richmond
261 Richmond Way
Richmond, Virginia 23173
804.289.8459
im: carolwittig / cwittig at richmond.edu