[Pedagogy-list] OpEd: Education is not preparing students for a fast-changing world

Karen Richardson witchyrichy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 08:22:10 EDT 2018

Greetings, all:

I started my School Technology course this semester discussing the concept
of VUCA, a term I learned during a summer conference. I am preparing my
students to teach and lead children in this world. We will discuss the
Horizon Report as part of our class readings so appreciate John sharing
that resource.

I do not use Blackboard or Powerpoint. I have been using a Wordpress site
for my course site for several semesters. I invite students in as
collaborators. They post blog and comment on each other's posts and along
the way are learning how to use a contemporary publishing tool including
embedding images and videos. We use Google docs to share and collaborate.

In an effort to help them apply their skills, I have adopted a "passion
project" that requires them to choose a topic of interest related to
educational technology and then use the semester to research the issue and
produce an Edutopia-style article as the final product. It must include an
infographic, a video and curated list of resources along with the text. For
those not familiar with Edutopia, start here: https://www.edutopia.org/.
This project came out of a presentation I saw by Jaime Casap
<https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/jaime-casap-tough-childhood-google-s-global-education-evangelist-n627781>,
Google's education evangelist. He commented that, instead of asking
students what they want to be when they grow up, we should be asking them
what problem they want to solve. That is the foundational question for this
project. (Click on his name to learn more about him...)

My course focuses on technology as its content, and we explore larger ideas
around classroom transformation, professional development, and the maker
movement. They get lots of opportunities to explore new technologies in
facilitated ways, but I rarely provide a job aide. Letting them tinker with
the tech is one way to strengthen those "learn how to learn" skills. This
past week, we played with embed codes and wordpress as the simple copy and
paste didn't always work. Students had found their own strategies and we
shared and discussed. We'll do some engineering style challenges later in
the semester that require collaboration and critical thinking skills.

For other content area professors, I think it is important that you ground
the students in the resources for your particular field. Who are the
bloggers they should be reading? Are there tweet chats or Linked In groups
they should know about and participate in?

My two cents...would love to hear more about what others are doing and am
always happy to share as well,

Best,

Karen Richardson
Executive Director, Virginia Society for Technology in Education
Adjunct Professor, School of Continuing and Professional Studies

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 3:39 PM Zinn, John <jzinn at richmond.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing this interesting piece, Daniel.
>

> The article supports what I consistently hear in the community.  Business
> leaders and entrepreneurs cite various statistics regarding the percentage
> of jobs in 2030 that are yet to be created and they champion the
> increasingly urgent need for digital literacy.  They also question what
> Higher Ed institutions are doing to address the issue.  Students need to
> leave college, it is argued, with strong digital literacy competencies and,
> based on their experience, should be committed to lifelong learning.
> Nearly a quarter of the way in, we are no longer preparing citizens for the
> 21st Century, but rather mid-century (2025-2075) careers.  That’s a
> sobering thought and a critical paradigm shift for educators.
>

> Here are a few resources:
>

> *2017 Digital Literacy Impact Study*
>
> An interesting place to start.  This report is attached.
>

> *2018 Horizon Report*
>
> The 2018 EDUCAUSE Horizon Report
> <https://www.infodocket.com/2018/08/16/info-techhigher-ed-2018-nmc-horizon-report-brought-to-you-by-educause-published-and-available-online/>
> is also attached as a PDF.
>

> *Digital Literacy in the Workplace*
>
> This new video from Deaken University <https://youtu.be/Tljcmged8yI>
> briefly highlights what students should expect in the workplace.  To
> paraphrase the video, technology is deeply imbedded in work.  It is also
> increasingly important in the digital lives of our students.  How are we
> leveraging technology in their SPCS experience?
>

> Technology is just one piece of the puzzle.  We can’t simply say we use
> Blackboard and require our students to produce a Powerpoint presentation.
> That is so ‘1999’.  Blackboard was founded in 1997 and a Powerpoint
> presentation was an eighth-grade competency for Henrico County students in
> the mid 1990s.  Changing the way students collaboratively collect, access,
> and analyze data is part of the challenge.  Our task is to help them learn
> how to create new information and products in innovative ways.
>

> Thoughts?
>

> John
>

> John A. Zinn, III
>

> Director of Enrollment Management
> and Strategic Partnerships / Adjunct Professor
> School of Professional & Continuing Studies
> University of Richmond
> 28 Westhampton Way
> University of Richmond, Virginia 23173
> phone: 804-287-6378
> fax: 804-289-8138
>

> *"Be a yardstick of quality.  Some people aren't used to an environment
> where excellence is expected."  -  Steve Jobs*
>

> *From: *<pedagogy-list-bounces at richmond.edu> on behalf of "Hocutt,
> Daniel" <dhocutt at richmond.edu>
> *Date: *Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 10:26 AM
> *To: *"SPCS Community of Practice: Pedagogy" <pedagogy-list at richmond.edu>
> *Subject: *[Pedagogy-list] OpEd: Education is not preparing students for
> a fast-changing world

> [...]

Karen Work Richardson

Ask the questions that have no answers. Wendell Berry