[Pedagogy-list] OpEd: Education is not preparing students for a fast-changing world

Zinn, John jzinn at richmond.edu
Wed Sep 26 15:38:28 EDT 2018

Thanks for sharing this interesting piece, Daniel.

The article supports what I consistently hear in the community.  Business leaders and entrepreneurs cite various statistics regarding the percentage of jobs in 2030 that are yet to be created and they champion the increasingly urgent need for digital literacy.  They also question what Higher Ed institutions are doing to address the issue.  Students need to leave college, it is argued, with strong digital literacy competencies and, based on their experience, should be committed to lifelong learning.  Nearly a quarter of the way in, we are no longer preparing citizens for the 21st Century, but rather mid-century (2025-2075) careers.  That’s a sobering thought and a critical paradigm shift for educators.

Here are a few resources:

2017 Digital Literacy Impact Study

An interesting place to start.  This report is attached.

2018 Horizon Report

The 2018 EDUCAUSE Horizon Report is also attached as a PDF.

Digital Literacy in the Workplace

This new video from Deaken University briefly highlights what students should expect in the workplace.  To paraphrase the video, technology is deeply imbedded in work.  It is also increasingly important in the digital lives of our students.  How are we leveraging technology in their SPCS experience?

Technology is just one piece of the puzzle.  We can’t simply say we use Blackboard and require our students to produce a Powerpoint presentation.  That is so ‘1999’.  Blackboard was founded in 1997 and a Powerpoint presentation was an eighth-grade competency for Henrico County students in the mid 1990s.  Changing the way students collaboratively collect, access, and analyze data is part of the challenge.  Our task is to help them learn how to create new information and products in innovative ways.

Thoughts?

John

John A. Zinn, III

Director of Enrollment Management
and Strategic Partnerships / Adjunct Professor
School of Professional & Continuing Studies
University of Richmond
28 Westhampton Way
University of Richmond, Virginia 23173
phone: 804-287-6378
fax: 804-289-8138

"Be a yardstick of quality.  Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected."  -  Steve Jobs