[Pedagogy-list] A good refresher

Hocutt, Daniel dhocutt at richmond.edu
Wed Sep 26 10:11:01 EDT 2018

Those of us of a certain age will remember Madeline Hunter’s “anticipatory sets” that we incorporated into elementary and secondary lesson plans. As a secondary English undergraduate here at UR, Prof. Keith Eicher drilled into me the value and importance of anticipatory sets in setting the tone in the first minutes of class; back in the 1990s, I was teaching 7 sections of 50 minute high school English classes daily and needed every minute to cover required elements of the curriculum. Anticipatory sets offered a useful and meaningful way to get students into the class while I was addressing logistics like taking role, checking announcements, reviewing absence excuses, and collecting homework. This article reminds me of the value of anticipatory sets. If you’re interested, here’s a quick overview of anticipatory sets<https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/anticipatory-set/> that provides background on the term and some research on the value of their use in the classroom.

Cheers!
Daniel