[Pedagogy-list] Thoughts on Designing and Using PowerPoint

Hocutt, Daniel dhocutt at richmond.edu
Fri Sep 14 15:47:55 EDT 2018

Dick, I appreciate your feedback. I’ve been influenced in my presentation style by Edward Tufte’s The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint (you can Google a PDF of the 27-page booklet), but I freely admit that Tufte’s arguments have shortcomings (see the Technical Communication article “The Cognitive Style of Powerpoint: Slides are Not All Evil<https://www.jstor.org/stable/43089160>” for a summary of those shortcomings along with some guidelines for slide design).

As we consider best practices for teaching adults, one of the primary take-aways I’ve absorbed is that instruction should address multiple modes and its methods be tied to accessible, real-world experience. Slides can and should reinforce instructional objectives and content that is also covered by textual, aural, oral, and video modes. As important, slides in the classroom should reinforce design and communication strategies applicable to the fields in which students do and will work.

I asked Dick to share the materials he uses in his classroom, and he willingly did with permission to share with CoP members. I’ve attached them as a resource. As Dick noted in his comments below, these resources come from decades of experience presenting in corporate setting, and they are his opinions with which not everyone will agree. I’m among those who doesn’t entirely agree, if for no other reason than my deep-seated dislike for Times New Roman in anything other than print. (And even then, it bores me.) Nevertheless, the principles behind these resources are rock solid: Our goal in using any technological resource like Powerpoint should be in service to sound instructional methods, and should enhance, rather than obscure, ease of communication.

Regards,
Daniel

—
Daniel L. Hocutt, R’92 & G’98
Web Manager & Adjunct Professor
School of Professional & Continuing Studies
Special Programs Building 215
University of Richmond, VA 23173
o. (804) 287-6658 f. (804) 289-8138
dhocutt at richmond.edu<mailto:dhocutt at richmond.edu>