[Pedagogy-list] FW: [AllFaculty-list] Teaching and Scholarship Initiative Survey

Hocutt, Daniel dhocutt at richmond.edu
Fri Sep 14 10:32:04 EDT 2018

Apologies for cross-postings.

Colleagues,

I’m sharing this with a two-fold purpose: First, to encourage you to complete the Teaching and Scholarship Initiative Survey<https://richmond.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3JW1DGKnEZ87D81> to ensure that SPCS instructor voices are included in the University’s new Teaching and Scholarship Initiative; Second, to encourage you to share additional thoughts and ideas with Kate Cassada<mailto:kcassada at richmond.edu>, our SPCS representative on the Teaching and Scholarship committee.

In an earlier message, Sandra introduced the Teaching & Scholarship Initiative. I’ve included the text of that introduction below. Sandra went out of her way at last week’s SPCS Faculty Meeting to assure me that she views SPCS adjunct faculty as part of, not ancillary to, the University faculty. Her perspective is that UR has one faculty, and SPCS adjuncts are among its many members. Her desire to clarify this message, and her willingness to engage with use throughout the SPCS Faculty Meeting, demonstrates a strong commitment to hearing and responding to adjunct voices, and I encourage us to participate in sharing our thoughts and ideas.

I have also chatted with Kate early this week, and she is committed to ensuring that SPCS voices and ideas are deeply interwoven into the work of the Teaching and Scholarship Initiative. As Sandra notes below, the committee will also convene focus groups to gather additional information.

Here’s Sandra’s introductory message from September 10, sent to the AllFaculty-list.

I wanted to let you all know that the work of the Teaching and Scholarship Initiative (TSI) has begun.  For those of you who are not already aware, the TSI is tasked with determining faculty needs in all areas of teaching and scholarship this fall with the goal of proposing a new structure to support faculty that will be launched July 1, 2019.
The committee membership is listed below.
Teaching and Scholarship Initiative Committee Members

  *   Crystal Hoyt (JSLS), Chair
  *   KimMarie McGoldrick (RSB)
  *   Kate Cassada (SPCS)
  *   Tamar Schwartz (Law)
  *   Stephen Long (A&S Division I)
  *   Shannon Jones (A&S Division II)
  *   Mimi Hanaoka (A&S Division III)
  *   Libby Gruner (A&S Division IV)
Please cooperate with the committee’s task of information gathering this semester to the extent you are able.  I would encourage all of you to reach out to your school or divisional representative with specific concerns.

Best,
Sandra

Thanks for your interest in the SPCS Pedagogy CoP, and for engaging in the work of the TSI.

Regards,
Daniel

—
Daniel L. Hocutt, R’92 & G’98
Web Manager & Adjunct Professor
School of Professional & Continuing Studies
Special Programs Building 215
University of Richmond, VA 23173
o. (804) 287-6658 f. (804) 289-8138
dhocutt at richmond.edu<mailto:dhocutt at richmond.edu>