[Pedagogy-list] FW: [AllFaculty-list] Fall Pizza & Pedagogy faculty lunch discussions announced

Hocutt, Daniel dhocutt at richmond.edu
Fri Sep 7 13:55:17 EDT 2018

This message may be of interest to many in the SPCS Pedagogy CoP. These events are also listed on the SPCS Pedagogy CoP website<https://blog.richmond.edu/pedagogy/calendar/>.

Regards,
Daniel

—
Daniel L. Hocutt, R’92 & G’98
Web Manager & Adjunct Professor
School of Professional & Continuing Studies
Special Programs Building 215
University of Richmond, VA 23173
o. (804) 287-6658 f. (804) 289-8138
dhocutt at richmond.edu<mailto:dhocutt at richmond.edu>

Community Coordinator,
SPCS Pedagogy Community of Practice<http://blog.richmond.edu/pedagogy>

From: <allfaculty-list-bounces at richmond.edu> on behalf of "Dixon, Mike" <mdixon4 at richmond.edu>
Date: Friday, September 7, 2018 at 1:47 PM
To: "AllFaculty-list at richmond.edu" <AllFaculty-list at richmond.edu>
Subject: [AllFaculty-list] Fall Pizza & Pedagogy faculty lunch discussions announced

The CTLT is pleased to announce the fall series of “Pizza and Pedagogy” 1-hour lunch discussions for faculty. Enjoy free pizza, salad and dessert while sharing perspectives with faculty from all five schools on a wide variety of topics, detailed below.

Click the links for each event to quickly register to ensure we have enough food and seating.

Tuesday, October 2, 12 noon (International Commons) [Click to Register<https://ctlt.corsizio.com/c/5b4f57daa5d352c22afd45b6>]
“The One-Button Studio” featuring Michael Marsh-Soloway (Global Studio) and Melissa Foster (Technology Learning Center)
The One Button Studio (OBS) is a fantastic resource for producing great looking videos with little or no prior experience. The Technology Learning Center and the Global Studio have created a space using the template and suggested equipment designed by Penn State. This lunch discussion is designed to help you understand the types of assignments you might use in your class with a low threshold of technology knowledge on the part of the student.

Friday, November 2, 12 noon (Richmond Room: lower level of Heilman Dining Center; enter from lakeside entrance) [Click to Register<https://ctlt.corsizio.com/c/5b48c62ca5d3523ff7fd3233>]
“Using Political News in Teaching” featuring Tom Mullen, Professor and Director of Public Affairs Journalism
We are inundated daily with political news. Trade War, NATO, Russia, Supreme Court nominees or decisions let alone any local issues that arise during the academic year. How can you leverage this information in your classroom without starting a political war yourself? Tom Mullen, professor and Director of Public Affairs Journalism, successfully crosses this high-wire each semester and will be sharing examples from his own teaching along with ideas for implementation into your class.

Wednesday, November 7, 12 noon (International Commons) [Click to Register<https://ctlt.corsizio.com/c/5b48e75da5d352269cfd3316>]
“Reflective Practice” featuring Kate Cassada, Associate Professor of Education
In the car, on a long run, with colleagues over lunch, even in the middle of a lesson--as instructors, it seems we naturally reflect on our own instructional practices. Intentional reflective practice can serve as a tool to guide us to improved teaching, and improved learning for our students. Clear benefits emerge when we examine our teaching in a purposeful and systematic way. Instructors are able to make informed decisions when we collect evidence of our instructional effectiveness, reflect upon the evidence, and alter practices, accordingly. Intentional reflective practice matters.
Sharing successes, hurdles, and hopes with colleagues can build a culture of community and trust that leads to genuine growth. Let’s take time to share with each other. Join Kate Cassada, Associate Professor of Education, to examine the processes of reflective practice and explore strategies that promote learning for faculty and students.

There’s one more thing!
While not a Pizza & Pedagogy session, we’ve partnered with Scott Tilghman of Information Services for a fun and informative 1-hour session on backing up your data! Two lucky attendees could win either a portable hard drive or large “thumb drive”! Details:

Tuesday., September 18, 10:30 AM (Boatwright Library, 3rd Floor, Conference Room 311) [Click to Register<https://ctlt.corsizio.com/c/5b873409dc64ee5303cc5990>]
“Backing Up Your Data”, featuring Scott Tilghman, Information Services
Backing up data is the least exercised task that computer users do. If you consider Murphy’s Law #6 of data processing, “data loss will occur at the most in opportune time, when you need it right now”, you should be prepared and confident to retrieve your data right now. In this session, we will explore what the most important things to consider are about your data and how you should back it up. We will be looking at local drive and cloud storage options, best practices, and creating a data backup plan that works for you. You might win a 1TB Western Digital Ultra portable hard drive or a 128GB dual USB-C/USB thumb drive!

--
Michael Dixon, Assistant Director
Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology

ph: 804-289-8066 (direct)
ofc: 323 Boatwright Library (office)
http://learning.richmond.edu