[Milton-L] Milton and Race?

Valerie Shepard vacullen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:58:23 EDT 2018


There's a recent book by Reginald A. Wilburn, *Preaching the Gospel of
Black Revolt: Appropriating Milton in Early African American
Literature.  *(Duquesne
UP, 2014).
Best,
Valerie Shepard

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:55 AM <milton-l-request at richmond.edu> wrote:

> Send Milton-L mailing list submissions to
>         milton-l at richmond.edu
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         https://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         milton-l-request at richmond.edu
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         milton-l-owner at richmond.edu
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Milton-L digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Milton and Race? (Matthew Jordan)
>    2. Re: Milton and Race? (Hugh Wilson)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 17:15:18 +0100
> From: Matthew Jordan <matthewjorda at gmail.com>
> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at richmond.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Milton and Race?
> Message-ID:
>         <CACjXXDo-7RVEiL=
> LQJTJHtfvLaaZerBDGQhRNxLa7rRKQvNBkA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Thanks, Louis, and apologies to Steven/Stephen. I am regressing to the
> oral-aural while at the same time becoming just a little deaf.
>
> Best, Matt
>
>
>
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 at 15:43, Schwartz, Louis <lschwart at richmond.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps this is the essay? "Ham's Vicious Race: Slavery and John Milton"
> > Steven Jablonski
> > [image: Studies in English Literature, 1500-1900]
> > <
> https://www.jstor.org/action/showPublication?journalCode=studengllite1500>
> >  Studies in English Literature, 1500-1900
> > Vol. 37, No. 1, The English Renaissance (Winter, 1997), pp. 173-190 (18
> > pages)
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Louis
> >
> > ======================
> > Louis Schwartz
> > Professor of English
> > Chair, Department of English
> > University of Richmond
> > Richmond, VA  23173
> > (804) 289-8315
> > lschwart at richmond.edu
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> > *From:* milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu <milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu> on
> > behalf of Matthew Jordan <matthewjorda at gmail.com>
> > *Sent:* Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:37 AM
> > *To:* John Milton Discussion List
> > *Subject:* Re: [Milton-L] Milton and Race?
> >
> > Stephen Dobranski's challenging essay on "Milton and the Race of Ham," or
> > something?
> >
> > Best, Matt
> >
> > On Tue, 18 Sep 2018, 13:55 Jameela Lares, <Jameela.Lares at usm.edu> wrote:
> >
> > There is a chapter on Satan as Spanish conquistador in Christopher
> > Hodgkins?s Reforming Empire: Protestant Colonialism and Conscience in
> > British Literature (U of Missouri P, 2002), along with more general
> > discussions of British exceptionalism.
> >
> >
> >
> > Jameela Lares, Professor of English
> >
> > Charles W. Moorman Distinguished Professor, 2017-2019
> >
> > The University of Southern Mississippi
> >
> > 108 College Drive #5037
> >
> > Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001
> >
> >
> >
> > [image: cid:5ED493B1-35E4-43EF-824B-396581CC764B at eagleair.usm.edu]
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > *From:* milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu <milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu>
> *On
> > Behalf Of *Joseph Black
> > *Sent:* Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:29 AM
> > *To:* milton-l at richmond.edu
> > *Subject:* [Milton-L] Milton and Race?
> >
> >
> >
> > A graduate student has asked me for references to scholarship on 'Milton
> > and Race': nothing came immediately to mind so I turn to the list for
> help.
> > I will give the student some references to work on Milton and the
> politics
> > of slavery (Skinner, Dzelainis, Jablonski), but surely somebody has
> > addressed Milton and early modern conceptions of race, or even later uses
> > of Milton in connection to issues of race? I feel like I'm missing
> > something obvious...
> >
> > Any suggestions appreciated!
> >
> > --
> >
> > Joseph Black
> > University of Massachusetts Amherst
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Milton-L mailing list
> > Milton-L at richmond.edu
> > Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> > https://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
> >
> > Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Milton-L mailing list
> > Milton-L at richmond.edu
> > Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> > https://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
> >
> > Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20180918/1d5da0e4/attachment-0001.html
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: Outlook-Studies in.gif
> Type: image/gif
> Size: 5933 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <
> http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20180918/1d5da0e4/attachment-0002.gif
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: Outlook-Studies in.gif
> Type: image/gif
> Size: 5933 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <
> http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20180918/1d5da0e4/attachment-0003.gif
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:54:29 +0000
> From: Hugh Wilson <wilsonh at gram.edu>
> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at richmond.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Milton and Race?
> Message-ID:
>         <
> DM5PR2001MB1883B46D20A12E756773A093D11D0 at DM5PR2001MB1883.namprd20.prod.outlook.com
> >
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"
>
> For the record, I think Jablonski's reading
>
> of Milton's position on slavery is profoundly
>
> mistaken, and the evidence, such as it is, for
>
> his position is scant at best.
>
>
> In Arbitrary Rule: Slavery, Tyranny and the Power
>
> of Life and Death [2013], Mary Nyquist seems to
>
> accept Jablonski's position.  If so, I demur.
>
>
> For another opinion, see ?Milton and Human
>
> Rights,? in Milton, Rights and Liberties, 21-30,
>
> Ed. Christopher Tournu and Neil Forsyth. Bern,
>
> Switzerland: Peter Lang, 2008.
>
>
> Sincerely,
>
>
> Hugh F. Wilson, PhD
>
> Professor, Department of English
>
>   and Foreign Languages
>
> Grambling State University
>
> Grambling, LA 71245
>
> Cell: (318) 548-9817
>
> wilsonh at gram.edu
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu <milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu> on
> behalf of Matthew Jordan <matthewjorda at gmail.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 11:15 AM
> To: John Milton Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Milton and Race?
>
> Thanks, Louis, and apologies to Steven/Stephen. I am regressing to the
> oral-aural while at the same time becoming just a little deaf.
>
> Best, Matt
>
>
>
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 at 15:43, Schwartz, Louis <lschwart at richmond.edu
> <mailto:lschwart at richmond.edu>> wrote:
> Perhaps this is the essay?
> "Ham's Vicious Race: Slavery and John Milton"
> Steven Jablonski
> [Studies in English Literature, 1500-1900]<
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.jstor.org_action_showPublication-3FjournalCode-3Dstudengllite1500&d=DwMFaQ&c=LzN5EdAODBTUJvSUkgrxJQ&r=cMOUziv4tVcSPqmj8_G_uQ&m=v4DmW3eK7GzbyayvpnkFtYUtmxr66cxTVfsAF4ltIR8&s=pyYFEX91YvvT01PJaTQpYV5MzK0vHPQQy-yC2cIhptA&e=
> >
>  Studies in English Literature, 1500-1900
> Vol. 37, No. 1, The English Renaissance (Winter, 1997), pp. 173-190 (18
> pages)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Louis
>
> ======================
> Louis Schwartz
> Professor of English
> Chair, Department of English
> University of Richmond
> Richmond, VA  23173
> (804) 289-8315
> lschwart at richmond.edu<mailto:lschwart at richmond.edu>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu<mailto:milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu>
> <milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu<mailto:milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu>> on
> behalf of Matthew Jordan <matthewjorda at gmail.com<mailto:
> matthewjorda at gmail.com>>
> Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:37 AM
> To: John Milton Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Milton and Race?
>
> Stephen Dobranski's challenging essay on "Milton and the Race of Ham," or
> something?
>
> Best, Matt
>
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2018, 13:55 Jameela Lares, <Jameela.Lares at usm.edu<mailto:
> Jameela.Lares at usm.edu>> wrote:
>
> There is a chapter on Satan as Spanish conquistador in Christopher
> Hodgkins?s Reforming Empire: Protestant Colonialism and Conscience in
> British Literature (U of Missouri P, 2002), along with more general
> discussions of British exceptionalism.
>
>
>
> Jameela Lares, Professor of English
>
> Charles W. Moorman Distinguished Professor, 2017-2019
>
> The University of Southern Mississippi
>
> 108 College Drive #5037
>
> Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001
>
>
>
> [cid:5ED493B1-35E4-43EF-824B-396581CC764B at eagleair.usm.edu]
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> From: milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu<mailto:milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu>
> <milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu<mailto:milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu>> On
> Behalf Of Joseph Black
> Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:29 AM
> To: milton-l at richmond.edu<mailto:milton-l at richmond.edu>
> Subject: [Milton-L] Milton and Race?
>
>
>
> A graduate student has asked me for references to scholarship on 'Milton
> and Race': nothing came immediately to mind so I turn to the list for help.
> I will give the student some references to work on Milton and the politics
> of slavery (Skinner, Dzelainis, Jablonski), but surely somebody has
> addressed Milton and early modern conceptions of race, or even later uses
> of Milton in connection to issues of race? I feel like I'm missing
> something obvious...
>
> Any suggestions appreciated!
>
> --
>
> Joseph Black
> University of Massachusetts Amherst
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Milton-L mailing list
> Milton-L at richmond.edu<mailto:Milton-L at richmond.edu>
> Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> https://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l<
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.richmond.edu_mailman_listinfo_milton-2Dl&d=DwMFaQ&c=LzN5EdAODBTUJvSUkgrxJQ&r=cMOUziv4tVcSPqmj8_G_uQ&m=v4DmW3eK7GzbyayvpnkFtYUtmxr66cxTVfsAF4ltIR8&s=a7d6hfMbCife3QBDBU-rY4CAJPXtrXL_KlONQDi8QI0&e=
> >
>
> Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/<
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__johnmilton.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=LzN5EdAODBTUJvSUkgrxJQ&r=cMOUziv4tVcSPqmj8_G_uQ&m=v4DmW3eK7GzbyayvpnkFtYUtmxr66cxTVfsAF4ltIR8&s=5RLkzYrecs0ETiyzN4s0NwxmEBtlWE1b5mYqGU8q__c&e=
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Milton-L mailing list
> Milton-L at richmond.edu<mailto:Milton-L at richmond.edu>
> Manage your list membership and access list archives at
> https://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l<
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lists.richmond.edu_mailman_listinfo_milton-2Dl&d=DwMFaQ&c=LzN5EdAODBTUJvSUkgrxJQ&r=cMOUziv4tVcSPqmj8_G_uQ&m=v4DmW3eK7GzbyayvpnkFtYUtmxr66cxTVfsAF4ltIR8&s=a7d6hfMbCife3QBDBU-rY4CAJPXtrXL_KlONQDi8QI0&e=
> >
>
> Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/<
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__johnmilton.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=LzN5EdAODBTUJvSUkgrxJQ&r=cMOUziv4tVcSPqmj8_G_uQ&m=v4DmW3eK7GzbyayvpnkFtYUtmxr66cxTVfsAF4ltIR8&s=5RLkzYrecs0ETiyzN4s0NwxmEBtlWE1b5mYqGU8q__c&e=
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20180918/2bc2fc9b/attachment.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Milton-L mailing list
> Milton-L at richmond.edu
> Manage your membership and access list archives at
> https://lists.richmond.edu/mailman/listinfo/milton-l
>
> Milton-L web site: http://johnmilton.org/
>
> End of Milton-L Digest, Vol 142, Issue 9
> ****************************************
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/attachments/20180918/a2d0f717/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Milton-L mailing list