[Milton-L] Milton on the WWW

Brendan Prawdzik brendanprawdzik at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 15:26:28 EDT 2018

I've seen about a hundred uses of "The mind is its own place" at clever
mall stores and museum shops across the world.  Always attributed to Milto
---> not Satan.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-heaven-wisdom-English-birthday/dp/B07GXP7DX2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536607483&sr=8-3&keywords=milton+%22mind+is+its+own+place%22

BP

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 3:17 PM JCarl Bellinger <dionhalic at gmail.com> wrote:

> The last part of Frost's line:  "The woods are lovely, dark and deep"
> which  may well be a direct borrowing from Milton's
> " rising world of waters dark and deep" is wounded mortally by the
> comma-happy editor who has "lovely, dark, and deep."  You could say both
> poems are hurt by this but I think Milton's just disappears.
> The pointing in paradise lost is minimal, and it's not agreed what
> Milton's principle of pointing might be, if he even had one.Or is he just
> terribly inconsistent? Or were the compositors  negligent, or pretending to
> be happy editors in their domain? Did they need better glasses? In any case
> errant punctuation can violently alter the sense, and always distorts the
> spoken cadence –the aptness of the numbers. So say goodbye to "the true
> musical delight which consists only in apt numbers… and the sense variously
> drawn out from one verse into another."
> Carl
>

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 11:06 AM James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> My first response to both questions below is, "Yes." My first thought,
>> actually, was a quotation from *Areopagitica*:
>>
>> "In this one thing I crave leave of the present licencers to be pardon'd
>> for so thinking: who doubtlesse took this office up, looking on it through
>> their obedience to the Parlament, whose command perhaps made all things
>> seem easie and unlaborious to them; but that this short triall hath wearied
>> them out already, their own expressions and excuses to them who make so
>> many journeys to sollicit their licence, are testimony anough. Seeing
>> therefore those who now possesse the imployment, by all evident signs wish
>> themselves well ridd of it, and that no man of worth, none that is not a
>> plain unthrift of his own hours is ever likely to succeed them..."
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 10:53 AM Gregory Machacek <
>> Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> How many more misattributions, or half-truths, have people on our list
>>> noticed, with regard to Milton and related matters? Would it be a public
>>> service, and help our students, if we could assemble a blacklist and make
>>> it known? Or would it be a dreary or needless chore?

>>> John Hale
>>>

>> --
>> Dr. James Rovira <http://www.jamesrovira.com/>
>>
>>    - Reading and History
>>    <https://interpretationtheoryhistory.wordpress.com/> (Lexington
>>    Books, under contract)
>>    - Rock and Romanticism: Post-Punk, Goth, and Metal as Dark
>>    Romanticisms <https://www.palgrave.com/us/book/9783319726878> (Palgrave
>>    Macmillan, May 2018)
>>    - Rock and Romanticism: Blake, Wordsworth, and Rock from Dylan to U2
>>    <https://jamesrovira.com/rock-and-romanticism-blake-wordsworth-and-rock-from-dylan-to-u2/> (Lexington
>>    Books, February 2018)
>>    - Assembling the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Essays on the Social,
> [...]

Dr. Brendan Prawdzik

BA Rutgers University, 2001
PhD The University of California, Berkeley, 2009