[Milton-L] Milton on the WWW

JCarl Bellinger dionhalic at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 15:16:09 EDT 2018

The last part of Frost's line:  "The woods are lovely, dark and deep" which
 may well be a direct borrowing from Milton's
" rising world of waters dark and deep" is wounded mortally by the
comma-happy editor who has "lovely, dark, and deep."  You could say both
poems are hurt by this but I think Milton's just disappears.
The pointing in paradise lost is minimal, and it's not agreed what Milton's
principle of pointing might be, if he even had one.Or is he just terribly
inconsistent? Or were the compositors  negligent, or pretending to be happy
editors in their domain? Did they need better glasses? In any case errant
punctuation can violently alter the sense, and always distorts the spoken
cadence –the aptness of the numbers. So say goodbye to "the true musical
delight which consists only in apt numbers… and the sense variously drawn
out from one verse into another."
Carl