[Milton-L] _Areopagitica_ banned?

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Thu Oct 11 09:28:15 EDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

I have gotten a query about whether Areopagitica itself was ever banned.  I have ILL’d Susanne Woods’s Milton and the Poetics of Freedom (2013), in which the last chapter is “Areopagitica's Reception History and Modern Contestations of Freedom,” but I am not sure what else is out there.  One of the great difficulties in researching this topic, of course, is that any more recent search for banned book information—e.g., on the ALA website on banned books—will mostly take one to quotations from Milton’s text and not to information about its own fortunes.

By the way, Gordon Campbell is here to speak and we had a wonderful turnout last night, along with wonderful meals with various colleagues.

Cheers,

Jameela Lares, Professor of English
Charles W. Moorman Distinguished Professor, 2017-2019
The University of Southern Mississippi
108 College Drive #5037
Hattiesburg, MS 39406-0001