[Milton-L] Margaret Cavendish Conference 2019

Dodds, Lara LDodds at english.msstate.edu
Thu Oct 4 16:29:53 EDT 2018

Fellow Miltonists:

I thought some of you might be interested in the following. Please get in touch with me if you have any questions.

Call for Papers

6-9 JUNE 2019 - Trondheim, Norway

The society welcomes proposals for 20-minute papers on topics related directly or indirectly to the theme, or on any aspects of Cavendish, her work, her family (including William Cavendish, Jane Cavendish, and Elizabeth Cavendish) and her contemporaries, influences, and responses to her work. In particular, we invite panel proposals on the work of Anne Conway and other early modern women scientists and philosophers. Papers may explore, but are not limited to, the following disciplines:

- art history

- social history

- book history

- digital humanities

- the history of science

- political theory

- literature

- ecocriticism

- gender studies

- philosophy

- translation studies

- pedagogical approaches

The 2019 conference will feature invited speaker Siri Hustvedt, author of The Blazing World (2014):

Siri Hustvedt is the author of a book of poems, four collections of essays, six novels, and a work of nonfiction. In 2012 she was awarded the International Gabarron Prize for Thought and Humanities. Her most recent novel The Blazing World was longlisted for the Man Booker Prize and won the Los Angeles Book Prize for Fiction 2014. Hustvedt has a PhD in English from Columbia University and is a lecturer in psychiatry at the Dewitt Wallace Institute for the History of Psychiatry in the Psychiatry Department of Weill Medical College of Cornell University. Her work has been translated into over thirty languages.

Abstracts of 150 to 200 words should be emailed to Lara Dodds (LDodds at english.mssate.edu) and Lisa Walters (walterl at hope.ac.uk) together with a brief CV by December 1st, 2018.

For more information, or to register for the conference, please visit the website of the Margaret Cavendish Society: https://www.margaretcavendishsociety.org/

?

Lara Dodds
Professor of English
Graduate Coordinator, MA Program in English
Mississippi State University