[Milton-L] "Millions of spirits for his fault amerced Of Heaven."

J. Michael Gillum mgillum at ret.unca.edu
Wed Mar 28 10:19:29 EDT 2018

I think Clay Greene is right on all counts. The line needs to be a
hexameter to fulfill the established stanza pattern. Also, "heaven" is
occasionally disyllabic in PL.

Here's a tricky one: "As being the contrary to his high will" (PL 1.161).
It has an extra syllable, but should we find the elision in "being" or
"contrary"? (The former, I'm pretty sure. "Contrary" as noun is apparently
stressed on the first syllable elsewhere in PL Its third syllable may have
secondary stress in M's dialect.)