[Milton-L] "Millions of spirits for his fault amerced Of Heaven."

Clay Greene claypgreene at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 09:04:30 EDT 2018

Dear Professor Scodel,

I would say Robert Bridges performed the most important study of Milton’s
elisions in Milton’s Prosody (1923 edition). He is studying PL, but he
thinks Milton’s elisions are all explainable for syllabic reasons.
Contraction and elision are for Bridges a core feature of how Milton’s
prosody works—pretty close to being a systematic study, since he looks at
all the PL lines that would tilt one way or the other depending on
contraction.

I can’t speak to the specific possibility of error here, but I think it’s
probably an alexandrine and that it makes sense to read the word
disyllabically regardless of the printed version.

My apologies if the above is obvious. Thanks for the chance to revisit
contraction in Milton.

Best,
Clay Greene
PhD Student, English and Renaissance Studies
Yale University