[Milton-L] "Millions of spirits for his fault amerced Of Heaven."

Joshua Scodel joshscodel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 01:06:32 EDT 2018

Dear Miltonians,

I have a very dull technical question.  I'm teaching the "Nativity Ode" and
am bothered yet once more by l. 116 as printed in the 1645 and 1653
editions:  "With unexpressive notes to Heav'ns new-born Heir."  It'd be a
perfectly good alexandrine with a disyllabic "Heaven's," but the elision to
a monosyllabic 'Heav'n's" makes it eleven syllables and the concluding
three syllables hard to scan.  Is it plausible that this is just a repeated
printer's error based on the fact that all the other instances of "heaven"
in the poem are elided to "heav'n"?

Attridge briefly remarks on Milton's use of both contracted and
uncontracted "heav(e)n" in *Paradise Lost*, but has anybody done a
systematic study of Miltonic metrical contraction?

Josh Scodel

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 7:18 AM, John Leonard <jleonard at uwo.ca> wrote:

> The legal sense "fine" was noted by "P.H." in 1695. He added the
> interesting detail that the word "bears an affinity" with a like-sounding
> Greek word used by Homer, meaning "deprive." The Greek pun then slipped out
> of the editorial canon until Stella Revard rediscovered it in (I think) MQ.
> It is likely that Milton is using both the Greek and the French senses
> (including "at the mercy of").

Joshua Scodel
Helen A. Regenstein Professor in English, Comparative Literature, and the
College
University of Chicago