[Milton-L] Remembrance

David Urban dvu2 at calvin.edu
Thu Mar 8 11:53:06 EST 2018

Yes, thank you, Carol.  I will always remember John and Al fondly--they both helped me and encouraged me so much.

Regarding the recent loss of Barbara Lewalski--I had just exchanged emails with her two weeks before. She reported being mentally alert, albeit acknowledging bodily pain.  So her death came as a shock to me.

It is truly amazing for how long she continued to produce excellent and substantive publications.

Some of my favorites include three of her four final Milton pieces--2013 in Milton Studies, and 2015 and 2016 in Milton Quarterly.   These were pieces of metacriticism, the insights of a great scholar addressing important particular themes in Milton, stretching across Milton's canon.  They are words of scholarly wisdom offered after a lifetime of study and reflection, a summation of ideas long ruminated upon, offered by one acutely aware of time's limitations near the conclusion of a storied career.

Best,

David