[Milton-L] Bitter constraint and sad occasion dear, dear Barbara Lewalski

Mario Murgia precious.bane at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 11:25:07 EST 2018

Dear all,
This is indeed devastating news. My condolences to those who, like me,
cannot imagine an intelligent, enlightened, reading of Milton--and of
poetry in general--without Dr Lewalski's invaluable insights. I shall
forever remember her genius and, most of all, her unbounded generosity.
My heart and thoughts go out to you and her family.
Mario Murgia

> Dear friends,
>

> I pass on this news – which I received from many quarters and am grateful
> for – to this list (also sent it to the Milton Society of America members)
> in case any of you can attend planned services next week or would like to
> ensure that your messages get to the family in time for those services …
>

> MSA Honored Scholar of 1977 Barbara Kiefer Lewalski passed away this past
> Friday. Messages of condolence can be sent to her son,
>
> David Lewalski
>
> 166 University Avenue
>
> Providence, RI 02906 USA
>

> Contributions in her memory can be made to Doctors Without Borders or the
> Rhode Island Philharmonic. Barbara also supported the Southern Poverty Law
> Center, ACLU, and Planned Parenthood.
>

> A remembrance service is planned for Monday, March 12, at 4:00 p.m., at
> Monahan, Drabble and Sherman Funeral Home, 230 Waterman Street, Providence
> RI.  Calling hours are from 1-4.
>

> Many thanks, *tesoros*.
>

> --
>
> Adios,
>
> Angelica
>
> Treasurer, Milton Society of America (2012-January 2020)
>

> Angelica Duran
>
> Professor
>
> English, Comparative Literature, Religious Studies (Director, 2009-13)
>
> 500 Oval Drive -­ Heavilon Hall
>
> Purdue University
>
> West Lafayette, Indiana 47907 USA
>

> <duran0 at purdue.edu>
>
> <http://www.cla.purdue.edu/english/directory/index.aspx?p=Angelica_Duran>

I am the eye with which the Universe
Beholds itself, and knows it is divine;
All harmony of instrument or verse,
All prophecy, all medicine, is mine,
All light of art or nature; - to my song
Victory and praise in its own right belong.

--P. B. Shelley