[Milton-L] Very sad news

Ainsworth, David dainsworth at ua.edu
Fri Jan 19 11:47:03 EST 2018

Late to the news after a particularly busy week: I join in the collective sadness over our loss of a great and generous scholar. Diane’s work has deeply influenced my own, and I shall never forget sitting beside her at the Beaufort, SC International Milton Symposium, on a swing by the ocean, gently swinging as we talked. While I didn’t get the chance to know her very well in person, I can’t help but associate that context and circumstance with her and think how well it fit the conversation.

Of course, as she and I swung, serene, I was inwardly expressing that graduate student disbelief: I CAN’T BELIEVE I’M SITTING NEXT TO AND TALKING WITH ***DIANE MCCOLLEY***!

Whenever I write or teach about something which her scholarship touched, I still can’t believe it.

David