[Milton-L] Very sad news

David Urban dvu2 at calvin.edu
Mon Jan 15 17:46:29 EST 2018

Dear All,

I also remember Diane McColley as a kind person whose scholarship I came to deeply appreciate and make use of more and more as the years have gone on.

Some thoughts, if I may:

1) I will always remember Gardner's deeply affectionate tribute to her at the December 1999 MLA Milton Dinner.  My deepest condolences to Gardner and the others here who were close to Diane.

2) I also remember how, at the end of her talk, Diane said, and I clumsily paraphrase, "I don't teach at Rutgers' main campus; I have no lineage of doctoral students."  But not only did she influence many Miltonists who did not sit in her Rutgers classrooms, she also subsequently directed Ken Hiltner's MA thesis at Rutgers which became Milton and Ecology (Cambridge University Press, 2003).  Not to mention her continued influence over Ken's subsequent voluminous work.

Sincerely,

David

David V. Urban, Ph.D.

Professor of English