[Milton-L] Very sad news

Beverley Sherry beverley.sherry at sydney.edu.au
Sat Jan 13 21:13:57 EST 2018

Remembering Diane in Australia.

In 2008 Diane McColley came to Australia for a symposium, "Milton in Intellectual and Cultural History", held at the University of Queensland (Brisbane) on 14-17 August. She gave a paper entitled "Just Concent: the Politics and Poetics of Music", and on the final day of the symposium, together with Steve Fallon and many others, participated in a program of readings from Milton, "'A Life Beyond Life': Celebrating John Milton's 400th Anniversary". When it came to her turn, she read beautifully from Il Penseroso 1-14, 139-76.

The following week, Diane visited me in Sydney. She loved the natural environment and we walked through Kelly's Bush together (site of the world's first Green Ban) and she took herself off to the Blue Mountains (a UNESCO World Heritage site). She was generous and loving and I benefited so much from her writings and email correspondence and from the wisdom of her conversation.

Please send this to anyone who might like to use it.

Best wishes,
Beverley Sherry