[Milton-L] Language epochs

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 12:56:18 EST 2018

I'm pitching into this discussion late, so I hope I'm not just repeating
suggestions others have made -- for instance, Herrick? (lots, including "An
Ode of the Birth of Our Saviour") One modern poem that might be interesting
to pair with Milton's Ode is Ferlinghetti's "Christ Climbed Down" (or
"Christmas Tree"):
http://www.blogcitylights.com/2012/12/17/a-coney-island-of-the-mind/. Quite
a powerful poem, on a surprising subject for a Beat, and of course it reads
particularly well out loud.

Hannibal

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 8:02 PM Windsor, Timothy <twindsor at georgian.edu>
wrote:

> Thank you, Salwa; a Merry Christmas to you and to all on this list.
>
> Thank you all for your recent comments re: Milton's great Christmas ode.
>
> Best,
>
> Tim Windsor
>
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Timothy_Windsor2
>

> "yet at his Birth a Starr / Unseen before in Heav'n proclaims him come" (
> *PL* 12.360-1).
>
> ------------------------------

Hannibal Hamlin
Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Author of *The Bible in Shakespeare*, now available through all good
bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199677610.do
164 Annie & John Glenn Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340
hamlin.22 at osu.edu/
hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com