[Milton-L] Language epochs

Salwa skhoddam at cox.net
Tue Dec 11 14:41:42 EST 2018

Nancy,

Thanks for your contributions. You always bring up very interesting and important points. Please continue to do so.

If it’s not too late to add my suggestions. . . Almost all books on Language or Linguistics have delightful, rather brief chapters on the history of the English Language, for example, Victoria Fromkin’s An Introduction to Language, chapter 11. Also, Mario Pei’s The Story of English is a good read, written in an informal style with scores of newspaper writers and columnists added to such authorities as Baugh, Jespersen, and Robertson. It was very helpful to me when I taught Linguistics. I’m not sure if it’s still in print. And then there’s The Story of English by Robert McCrum, William Cran, and Robert MacNeil  the beautifully illustrated companion to the PBS television series of around 1986 (on VHS, I’m afraid). But the book is a treasure in itself.

Merry Christmas to all,

Salwa

Salwa Khoddam, PhD.

Professor of English, Emerita