[Milton-L] Reply to Carol’s post

Nancy Charlton charltonwordorder1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 00:06:34 EST 2018

I couldn’t do routine replying, copying, or pasting in a Reply, so I’ll do
it separately.

The passage about the “bright seraphim” ran a bell, and sure enough,
Handel’s librettist paraphrased Milton in “Lo! The bright seraphim” from
the oratorio Samson.

Let the bright seraphim
in burning row,
Their loud, uplifted angel trumpets blow.

Let the cherubic host,
in tuneful choirs,
Touch their immortal harps
with golden wires.

There are YouTubes, notably Dame Joan Sutherland, but not that I can see,
of Kiri TeKanawa singing it at the wedding of Charles and Diana.

Thanks, Carol, for the reminder of the birthday of Wunderkind JM.

Nancy Charlton