[Milton-L] Liberty of education

Nancy Charlton charltonwordorder1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 22:15:21 EDT 2018

My apologies,

I thought this had been Pasted, but a call came in and I guess I didn’t.
Anyway, it was still in the buffer, so here it is:

August 17, 2018

Dear

It is with dismay and disbelief that I hear of your  university’s decision
to close down your gender studies program instituted just last year. While
it may seem frivolous to you, it has become a vital resource in many
American universities.

It spans many disciplines: sociology, psychology, law, medicine, public
policy and legislation, religion, history, and literature. It recognizes
that gender shapes many attitudes and mindsets, and in turn is shaped by
them. It recognizes the differences—and the congruities—of the genders. It
strives to reconcile them harmoniously, to eliminate some of the tensions
arising from misunderstandings between them.

A university that shuns the examination of these questions will be left
behind, and its graduates with it. A country as venerable and civilized as
Hungary should not do such a disservice to its students or its faculty.

Therefore, as an American admirer of all things Hungarian, I urge you to
preserve and maintain the discipline of gender studies.