[Milton-L] Liberty of education

Larisa Zámbóné Kocić larisa.kocic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 06:15:05 EDT 2018

Dear Milton scholars,

I do apologize if this seems out of place, but it has been here, on this
listserv, that I have learned: studying Milton one cannot avoid political
issues. Before you get yourself worked up, please note that this is not
about present US issues, but a Hungarian one. Our government is proposing
to eliminate all accredited gender studies MA programs/degrees from
Hungarian universities (not that there are much to begin with) without
offering plausible reasons for doing so (their usual rhetoric -- hardly cloth'd
in reason's garb -- is that the program is not economically justifiable,
nor does it comply with the Hungarian Christian democratic values (sic!)).
The Network of University Teachers in Hungary (OHA) has issued a statement
against banning the gender studies program
<https://www.facebook.com/notes/oktat%C3%B3i-h%C3%A1l%C3%B3zat/statement-of-the-network-of-university-teachers-against-banning-the-gender-studi/1954765827917680/>
(whether or not you are registered to facebook the text of the statement on
the link provided will be legible and accessible in English).
If you feel like joining our protest, please, consider doing any or all of
the following:

   - write Dr József Bódis ( jozsef.bodis at emmi.gov.hu ), State Secretary
   for Education, Ministry of Human Capacities with a statement/comments about
   the proposal
   - if you have a listserve, it would be wonderful if you could circulate
   the  statement of the OHA Protest
   - please share the letter of protest you are kindly sending to the
   Hungarian  Secretary of Education on your own blog/twitter/facebook/webpage
   (all online platforms are welcome)

Also, the ELTE School of English and American Studies has issued a statement
<http://seas3.elte.hu/seas/statement-on-gender-studies.html> in English too.
Your support and solidarity is much appreciated.
Thank you,

Larisa Kocic-Zámbó
Senior Assistant Professor
Department of English, Institute of English and American Studies
University of Szeged, Faculty of Arts
H-6722 Szeged, Egyetem u. 2.
Tel.:+36-62-544 526 Fax: +36-62-544259
http://ieas-szeged.hu/sociablespirit