[Milton-L] Censorship again

Horace Jeffery Hodges horacejeffery at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 02:48:27 EDT 2018

Here are the words of note by Grace Shulman in her comment
on the *Nation*’s apology for publishing a poem many found offensive:

Correction: August 5, 2018

An earlier version of this article misattributed a quotation;
it was Thomas Jefferson, not John Milton,
who said that “error of opinion may be tolerated
where reason is left free to combat it.”

But one can see how Jefferson's view derives from Milton's view in
*Areopagitica*:

And though all the windes of doctrin were let loose
to play upon the earth, so Truth be in the field,
we do injuriously, by licencing and prohibiting
to misdoubt her strength.
Let her and Falshood grapple;
who ever knew Truth put to the wors,
in a free and open encounter.
Her confuting is the best and surest suppressing.

Jefferson knew his sources well, no doubt (and I borrowed my Milton sources
from the Dartmouth site).

Jeffery Hodges

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Nancy Charlton <charltonwordorder1 at gmail.com