[Milton-L] Appropriation of Areopagitica

Brendan Prawdzik brendanprawdzik at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 23:52:12 EDT 2018

I'm wary of presentism and often position myself against it.  But Jim
clearly aligns himself with a type of presentism, and I respect where he's
coming from.  I recognize that academia includes strident voices for
presentism, often to an effect that bends the literature to the detriment
of its credibility and cultural survival.  Nonetheless, there is a
discussion that is going on, even if there might be a post or two that one
can easily leap over with one's eyes.  I don't think that anyone has
crossed bounds of decorum, given that this is an academic *listserv*.  I
would encourage Arlene to contribute meaningfully and not purely
negatively, and I would encourage Salwa that voting "support" for a
position against making a congenial aside about voting (not about Milton)
is counter-to-purpose.

Brendan

ps ... Was Milton a presentist?

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 9:31 PM, Salwa <skhoddam at cox.net> wrote:

> I support Arlene.
>
> Salwa
>

> Salwa Khoddam, PhD.
>
> Professor of English, Emerita
>
> Oklahoma City University
>
> 4436 NW 60th Place
>
> OKC, OK 73112
>
> Phone: 405-942-3801

Dr. Brendan Prawdzik

BA Rutgers University, 2001
PhD The University of California, Berkeley, 2009