[Milton-L] Appropriation of Areopagitica

Salwa skhoddam at cox.net
Thu Aug 2 22:31:55 EDT 2018

I support Arlene.

Salwa

Salwa Khoddam, PhD.

Professor of English, Emerita

Oklahoma City University

4436 NW 60th Place

OKC, OK 73112

Phone: 405-942-3801

From: milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu [mailto:milton-l-bounces at richmond.edu]
On Behalf Of Arlene Stiebel
Sent: Thursday, August 2, 2018 9:23 PM
To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at richmond.edu>
Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Appropriation of Areopagitica

"Bern baby Bern" is not about the GOP.  Nor guns.

Will the Moderator please step in?

On Aug 2, 2018, at 7:18 PM, James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com
<mailto:jamesrovira at gmail.com> > wrote:

I think we should keep in mind that the topic came up because of its
connection to Milton, who was consummately political in ways that still
(obviously) matter today. I think the question of what Milton might think
about gun control with knowledge of our current kinds of guns and what has
been done with them is an interesting one. If we apply his principles of
freedom of speech and of the press in Areopagitica to gun control, he would
want the issue subject to vigorous debate in public, and he wouldn't think
twice about banning guns, or any kind of guns, if that was the conclusion
that our reason and morality led to -- just as he was willing to burn books
after they've been read and discussed if they were unlicensed and the
authors were not identified, but the books themselves were found to be
"mischievous":

"And as for regulating the Presse, let no man think to have the honour of
advising ye better then your selves have done in that Order publisht next
before this, that no book be Printed, unlesse the Printers and the Authors
name, or at least the Printers be register'd. Those which otherwise come
forth, if they be found mischievous and libellous, the fire and the
executioner will be the timeliest and the most effectuall remedy, that mans
prevention can use."

If I offended you by pointing out fault for the murderous, profit-driven,
inhumane and criminal stance of the GOP on gun control, you have a problem.

I've had my say about the topic, though.