[Milton-L] Appropriation of Areopagitica

Brendan Prawdzik brendanprawdzik at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 20:45:37 EDT 2018

All, the appropriation of Milton for misguided causes might prompt a pause.

I think that you agree that the application of Milton's 1644 tract to a
2018 gun-rights discussion based on a first amendment ratified in 1789 is
deeply problematic, esp. given that the current "gun" debate involves
weapons of mass murder unimaginable in 1644 (when the trebuchet was in wide
use).

But the event might encourage us to consider that the Milton of 1667 might
well have disagreed with the Milton of 1644: that there are aspects and
arguments in Areopagitica that the Milton of Paradise Lost (1667) and,
especially, of Paradise Regained and of Samson Agonistes (1671), would find
no longer viable.

Well wishes,  Brendan

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 6:34 PM, James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com> wrote:

> It doesn’t bother me that nutcases act and think like nutcases. At least
> this nutcase has read Milton. It does bother me that politicians who care
> more about gun company profits than human life empower these nutcases and
> use them for their own political gain at the expense of everyone else.
>
> And it bothers me even more that educated people, even people with PhDs in
> the humanities, vote these politicians into office. The real problem is
> systemic, and most of the blame for loss of life lies at the feet of the
> Republican Party and the NRA.
>
> Jim R

Dr. Brendan Prawdzik

BA Rutgers University, 2001
PhD The University of California, Berkeley, 2009