[Milton-L] Appropriation of Areopagitica

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Thu Aug 2 14:17:17 EDT 2018

Thanks to Carol for her good sense. America is awash not only in less than coherent reasoning but in guns. All kinds of guns. And not just 'Assault rifles' and machine guns.

I've been (never mind how I was led to it) researching fifty calibre sniper rifles. It looks like there are, AT LEAST, 30,000 in private hands in the United States of America.

These things can hit targets three quarters of a mile away with remarkable accuracy. But they're not for shooting game, the bullet makes a mess of whatever it strikes.

Maybe the President's recent suspension of his invitation to the Russian leader has something to do with his aides reminding him of this fact.

Cody Wilson's so-called 'argument' is a wonderfully twisted inversion of Raphael's "lik'ning spiritual to corporeal forms" in Book V, line 573 and makes his speculation "...what if Earth/ Be but the shadow of Hea'n"? a terrifying prospect.

jim watt