[Milton-L] Eighteenth-Century Fiction - Volume 30 No. 4, Summer 2018 now online

UTP Journals thawkic551 at rogers.com
Wed Aug 1 13:59:38 EDT 2018

New issue is now available!

Eighteenth-Century Fiction

Volume 30 No. 4, Summer 2018

ECF Online: http://bit.ly/ecfn304

ARTICLES
The Virgin and the Spy: Authority, Legacy, and the Reading Public in Eliza
Haywood's The Invisible Spy

 <https://www.utpjournals.press/author/Froid%2C+Daniel> Daniel Froid

This essay addresses the self-referential tendencies of Eliza Haywood's The
Invisible Spy (1754), as well as its reflections on authorship and print
culture and its relationship to Haywood's legacy. The Invisible Spy, like
other works in Haywood's oeuvre, simultaneously deploys and interrogates
literary techniques commonly associated with low culture, including amatory
fiction. In the figure of Explorabilis, the Invisible Spy, Haywood creates a
proxy that allows her to comment on the insincerity and cynicism of the
eighteenth-century print marketplace. Explorabilis imitates features of the
periodical eidolon who expresses concern for contemporary culture, as he
claims to provide readers with a text whose edifying qualities justify its
exploitative content.

Read at ECF Online>>> http://bit.ly/ecf304a

Making Weather: Communication Networks and the Great Storm of 1703

 <https://www.utpjournals.press/author/Silver%2C+Sean> Sean Silver

This essay links popular writing about the weather to transformations in
communication networks at the turn of the seventeenth century in Britain. It
argues for modern weather as a complex phenomenon-a "system"-which is partly
meteorological in a strict sense, and partly the artifact of media forms
like the letter or the newspaper. This article takes as its example the
Great Storm of 1703, which closely followed innovations in the British
newspaper trade. It makes a further argument for the close linkages between
modern forms of populist rhetoric and community building which follow
disasters, noting that the media forms associated with nationalism and
community building are similar to the communication systems required for
witnessing large-scale weather patterns.

Read at ECF Online>>> http://bit.ly/ecfn304b

Tobias Smollett's Ferdinand Count Fathom: The Purpose of Picaresque

 <https://www.utpjournals.press/author/Squibbs%2C+Richard> Richard Squibbs

Tobias Smollett's third novel, The Adventures of Ferdinand Count Fathom
(1753), is best understood as a satire of the national self-involvement that
Smollett detected in the emergent discourse of English literary
sentimentalism. Like Sarah Fielding, Smollett identified a distinctive
strain of sentimentalism in the mid-eighteenth-century English novel well
before the sentimental novel had emerged as its own subgenre. In Fathom, he
revises older Spanish picaresque conventions to confront this popular taste
for sentimental fiction, which he sees as simply a modern manifestation of
traditional romance delusion.

Read at ECF Online>>> http://bit.ly/ecf304c

Maria Edgeworth's Belinda: A Dialogue with Alexander Pope

 <https://www.utpjournals.press/author/Warren%2C+Victoria> Victoria Warren

With theatre motifs encompassing tragedy/comedy and a large cast of
characters, Maria Edgeworth's Belinda (1801) is a philosophical novel, a
novel of ideas. Critics troubled by the novel's two heroines fault its
characterization, plot, genres, or "didacticism." Belinda's London social
setting and the Rousseauvian subplot invite scholarship, as has Belinda in
context with English colonialism; however, no one has explored fully the
numerous parallels between Edgeworth's novel and the works of Alexander
Pope. In this article, I argue that Pope is more than an allusion in
Belinda; he is a substantial presence. I identify important references to
Pope and his poetry, and I analyze their significance in Edgeworth's text.
In many ways, Edgeworth's Belinda is in dialogue with Pope. Exploring this
dialogue illuminates Edgeworth's novel and clarifies important critical
issues.

Read at ECF Online>>> http://bit.ly/ecf304d

REFLECTIONS

The Danger of Liaisons

 <https://www.utpjournals.press/author/Tsien%2C+Jennifer> Jennifer Tsien

Some researchers feel so close to certain literary works that they may have
trouble looking at them critically. The work I hold in this special esteem
is Les Liaisons dangereuses (1782), by Choderlos de Laclos, which taught me,
as a teenage girl, how the world works-or so I thought. What does this blind
spot in my research imply about the way I believe we treat literature as
professional critics? Specifically, how are critical approaches to
literature unable to account for the complex relationship between our lives
and our readings? This essay concerns my experience reading Laclos's text
and how I felt the need to protect it from literary analysis.

Read at ECF Online>>> http://bit.ly/ecf304e

Collaboration in the Humanities: The Art of the Academic Dance

 <https://www.utpjournals.press/author/Alker%2C+Sharon> Sharon Alker
<https://www.utpjournals.press/author/Nelson%2C+Holly+Faith> Holly Faith
Nelson

Sharon Alker and Holly Faith Nelson reflect on how their long-standing
sisterly collaborative work in literary analysis began and evolved over
time. They unfold how their particular collaborative process works, enabling
them to cover multiple literary periods and navigate differences in
approaches and writing styles. They also discuss the nature of collaborative
work in general, and the way it is often measured (problematically) by the
academy as piece-work rather than as a complex, multidimensional work that
is often considerably more work than a single-authored article. They call
for a re-evaluation of collaborative work in the humanities and greater
recognition of the benefits it can offer.

Read at ECF Online>>> http://bit.ly/ecf304f

For a full list of reviews, please visit ECF Online: http://bit.ly/ecfn304

Eighteenth-Century Fiction is an international, peer-reviewed quarterly
devoted to the critical and historical investigation of literature and
culture of the period 1660-1832. Since its foundation in 1988, ECF has
expanded its scope to reflect changes in the discipline, and we now solicit
and publish a variety of approaches on a wide range of relevant cultural
materials. ECF is available in print and online.

For more information about Eighteenth Century Fiction or for submissions
information, please contact:

University of Toronto Press - Journals Division

5201 Dufferin St., Toronto, ON, Canada M3H 5T8

Tel: (416) 667-7810 Fax: (416) 667-7881

Fax Toll Free in North America 1-800-221-9985

journals at utpress.utoronto.ca <mailto:journals at utpress.utoronto.ca>

http://www.utpjournals.press/loi/ecf