[Milton-L] The debt of gratitude

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 5 19:40:56 EDT 2017

Dear Alison,

I think your question is a truly great one.  I think it gets to something really deep in Milton and in the poem -- something that Milton is quite conflicted about.  I think that he feels gratitude is a duty while also knowing that it cannot logically be coerced -- or rather, that its value diminishes insofar as it is.  It may be that gratitude is only a burden to the wicked, but it is also the case that M's God seems to demand it. I tried to get at some of the issues involved in my article on "Why Eden is Better than Heaven" ("Milton's Fetters").  Originally appeared in Milton Studies 38; a shorter but somewhat updated version appears in the Herman and Sauer volume called The New Milton Criticism.

RS