[Milton-L] Pass the salt.

Carol Barton, PhD, CPCM cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 5 09:35:33 EDT 2017

I seem to remember having argued something similar, regarding “standing” and “waiting,” once upon a time, John. It’s not anti-intellectual (though it may well be anti-academic) to argue that insisting upon ambiguity that goes against the grain of everything we know about Milton and his theodicy is “over-reading”—whether the argument is phrased in plain language, or trots out the latest in-vogue scholarly rhetoric to make its case. Just as “please pass the salt” can have different meanings in different contexts, and even different meanings in different cultures, so can almost any other phrase in human communication.

There are cogent reasons for believing that Milton (warning: intentional fallacy coming) intended the ambiguity in the difference between “they also serve who only stand and wait,” and “they ALSO serve, who only STAND, and WAIT”—in juxtaposition to the “thousands [who] at his bidding speed/ And post o’er land and ocean without rest.”

Milton is certainly capable of deliberate ambiguity, and makes deft use of it throughout _Paradise Lost_. But sometimes a cigar is also just a cigar.

Carol Barton