[Milton-L] Pass the salt.

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 17:13:50 EDT 2017

Love this!!

And thanks for your comments, Jim, which do, I think, clarify what I was
trying to get at.

Hannibal

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Carol Barton, PhD, CPCM <
cbartonphd1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Her husband slowly dying of hypernatremia, his poor wife knelt at his
> bedside and whispered, “Please . . . pass the salt.”
>

> On Sep 4, 2017, at 4:58 PM, James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think "all the way" works as a grammatically meaningful claim, and that
> context limits the possibilities offered by grammar. We probably both agree
> on that point. I think limiting context is less often available or as
> easily identifiable as we'd like to think, and the univocal moments in *PL
> *are dependent on it.
>
> These seem to be exactly the points Derrida was speaking to in his
> critiques of logocentrism, though.
>
> Jim R

Hannibal Hamlin
Professor of English
The Ohio State University
Author of *The Bible in Shakespeare*, now available through all good
bookshops, or direct from Oxford University Press at
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199677610.do
164 Annie & John Glenn Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340
hamlin.22 at osu.edu/
hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com