[Milton-L] Pass the salt.

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 4 16:23:54 EDT 2017

Statements, in actual usage (as opposed to when used as examples of grammatical constructions or such) do not come without contexts.  This is part of what speech-act theory is about.

To pretend not to understand is always possible, and to dramatize such misunderstanding, in very ordinary cases, is, as noted, humorous.  But that does not make a difference to the point that in normal cases of such an utterance as the one in question there is no ambiguity.  And, of course, there are hundreds and hundreds of such cases.  As there have to be, if language is to work at all.  The humor in the misunderstandings comes exactly from the recognition of the misunderstanding, a recognition that is perfectly clear.