[Milton-L] Milton's Deliberate Ambiguities

Bryson, Michael E michael.bryson at csun.edu
Mon Sep 4 11:56:11 EDT 2017

"I'm inclined to say -- and I guess I will -- that there is really nothing but interpretation. It's interpretation (substituting for turtles) all the way down. To argue otherwise is to entirely misunderstand the fundamental nature of language."

And there we have the problem with the entire "linguistic turn" in theory, and the effects that turn has wrought upon literary criticism over the last century. It has been, in my view, something akin to a disaster, and I will take the Susan Sontags and Oscar Wildes over the whole lot of us any day of the week.

Michael Bryson

Love and its Critics: From the Song of Songs to Shakespeare and Milton’s Eden (Cambridge: Open Book, 2017)
<https://www.openbookpublishers.com/product/611>https://www.openbookpublishers.com/product/611