[Milton-L] Milton-L Digest, Vol 130, Issue 8

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Mon Sep 4 08:17:03 EDT 2017

Roy Flannagan's excellent point about dictating when blind reminds me of a possible "Siri" moment in Samson Agonistes:

I was no private, but a person raised,

With strength sufficient, and command from Heaven,
To free my country. If their servile minds
Me, their Deliverer sent, would not receive,
But to their masters gave me up for nought,
The unworthier they; whence to this day they serve.             1215
I was to do my part from Heaven assigned,
And had performed it if my known offence
Had not disabled me

Someone (I forget who) has conjectured that the words the amanuensis wrote down (and read back) as "my known offence" were delivered as "mine own offence." I find this suggestion plausible (though not compelling) because "mine own offence" makes for a better antithesis with "my part from Heaven" (Heaven did Heaven's part, Samson failed to do Samson's). The alternative reading, followed by all editors, is arguably lamer since "known" adds nothing that is not already known ("that offence you all know about"). Perhaps Samson speaks in this way because he is too ashamed to say what the offence was, but Roy's Siri analogy adds credibility to the proposed emendation. It would be difficult for the unaided human ear to catch the distinction, either when writing the words down or reading them back to check for accuracy.

John Leonard