[Milton-L] Milton's Deliberate Ambiguities

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 17:57:31 EDT 2017

I enjoyed math a lot more when it was limited to 2+2 = 4, and I really started to hate it once it got more complex than that, starting especially with those unruly fractions.

But of course as an educated adult I look back on my childhood self and think I was mistaken, and I wish now I'd actually taken more math (stopped with first semester calculus). I really don't see the virtue in believing that any given complex literary texts only ever mean one thing and nothing else.

Level of detail matters too. I would agree with High Richmond's general summary of the sonnet in question, but on the level of individual line part of the fun of the poem is the fact that the lines could be taken two ways, as an insult or as a compliment. These dual simultaneous meetings are I think part of the author's intent.

Of course, most literature becomes much less complex when the point of all interpretation is to summarize it in a single sentence. That's a rather dull and Philistine enterprise, though.

Jim R