[Milton-L] Milton's Deliberate Ambiguities

Steve Fallon sfallon at nd.edu
Sun Sep 3 17:38:13 EDT 2017

I'm not clear what is gained by denying to ports the top of ambiguity. One
of the glories of poetry is compression, the ability to day much in a few
words, our to say, as Milton put it, where is meant than meets the ear.
There can, of course, be overreadings, but for me it remains that one of
the glories of 116 is continued meanings in tension.

Sent from my Android with its unruly Autocorrect