[Milton-L] Milton's Deliberate Ambiguities

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 13:59:57 EDT 2017

Ambiguity can indeed sometimes be used to make a definite statement about a subject, especially when the statement being made is about the complexity of a situation and the actors involved. But we need to grapple with the ambiguity in order to get to that point, and otherwise I am unwilling to sacrifice my own my mind out of reverence for someone else's.

For some people ambiguity and complexity provide the pleasures of reading literature in the sense that they pose puzzles that need to be solved. And that's the case even if they never can be.

Jim R

Sent from my iPhone