[Milton-L] Milton's Deliberate Ambiguities

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 13:28:55 EDT 2017

In my reading experience, Hannibal, there's plenty of room for ambiguity in theology. But of course your mention of Empson makes me want to get specific about what we mean by ambiguity. I think in this case we might want to distinguish between conceptual and affective ambiguities. In the first case, we're not sure what the person thinks, in the second case, we're not sure what he feels. I think the most strongly registered ambiguity in Milton's Paradise Lost is the second kind, especially by the Romantics. He thinks he's on the side of God, but he doesn't seem to feel that way.

Many thanks Richard Strier for his clarification.