[Milton-L] Milton's Deliberate Ambiguities

Richard A. Strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Sun Sep 3 12:56:13 EDT 2017

Yes, Milton was unusual (and not just in his talent).  For his whole mature period, from the early 40's on, even when he was a Presbyterian in church-government, he was an Arminian iconoclast.  This is what made him an unusual "puritan."  For a while he was  Calvinist with regard to church-government; he was never a Calvinist with regard to theology.  And he never thought that buildings were "holy."

RS