[Milton-L] Milton's Deliberate Ambiguities

Salwa skhoddam at cox.net
Sat Sep 2 18:55:12 EDT 2017

Dear Professor Richmond,

My example of ambiguity in Lear’s words about poverty is totally rash and incorrect. The ambiguity is certainly in the reader’s mind. I apologize for that.

But the other examples I gave about Shylock, Hamlet, Adam, and Eve, etc. are, I believe, non-linguistic ambiguities, “large, and general,” in the words of Professor Hamlin. The dangers of focusing on linguistic ambiguities is over reading, and the dangers of focusing on moral and psychological ambiguities is incomplete understanding of the literary work. All literary elements are linked. Balance is all.

Salwa

Salwa Khoddam, PhD.

Professor of English, Emerita

Oklahoma City University