[Milton-L] Milton's Deliberate Ambiguities

Bryson, Michael E michael.bryson at csun.edu
Sat Sep 2 18:36:24 EDT 2017

Well, if that view (being "mostly interested in what a major author literally means [rather] than some ingenious appeal to a different authority or some undemonstrable subconscious") is "archaic" or "primitive" then sign me up as both. Such is, in fact, the major thrust of my own recent project with Arpi Movsesian--an argument that we have become too enveloped within our own various versions of a hermeneutics of suspicion, so much so that all too often we cannot (or do not) hear the poets any longer.

Michael Bryson

Love and its Critics: From the Song of Songs to Shakespeare and Milton’s Eden (Cambridge: Open Book, 2017)
https://www.openbookpublishers.com/product/611