[Milton-L] Milton's deliberate ambiguities

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 22:48:37 EDT 2017

It's odd to me that we would be afraid to let Milton make any kind of
definite statement about anything, including God, especially in *Paradise
Lost: *in its first 20 lines he makes himself at least equal in inspiration
to Moses and superior to the Greeks. He may well claim for himself greater
knowledge than the author of the Book of Job, as he believes he has the
benefit of a more complete revelation of God in Christ. Never mind that the
first two stanzas contain Milton's own imperatives directed toward the Holy
Spirit: "Sing, heavenly Muse..." and "Say first..." This is the Spirit that
Milton wishes to sing through him -- the one present at creation from whom
nothing is hid.

Yes, he makes big claims for himself and his poem.