[Milton-L] PUBS-piedmontese

Joad Raymond joadraymond at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 04:30:22 EST 2017

Hi Angelica,

You could start to answer these questions with the official newsbook of the
Protectorate, *Mercurius Politicus*, edited by Milton's friend Marchamont
Nedham, which included extensive reporting of the massacre (it will also
give you a sense of "normal" time delays for news). There is further
documentation of the flow of news into John Thurloe's office, and to which
Milton would therefore have had access, in the Thurloe State Papers in the
British library. They offer an essential context not only for the sonnet on
the massacre but for his diplomatic documents.

You can find the manuscript references in an article I wrote (partly) about
the sonnet years ago -- so long ago that it's no longer on my computer, so
I can't offer the references here, and I can't right now lay my hands on a
hard copy ...

‘The Daily Muse; Or, Seventeenth-Century Poets Read the News’. *The*
*Seventeenth
Century* 10 (1995): 189-218.
Joad

Recently published: News Networks in Early Modern Europe
<http://booksandjournals.brillonline.com/content/books/9789004277199>
(Brill, 2016), open access download
News Networks research: cemmn.net
The blog: Miles to go <http://milestogo-joad.blogspot.co.uk/>