[Milton-L] PUBS-piedmontese

Duran, Angelica A duran0 at purdue.edu
Mon Nov 6 16:33:36 EST 2017

Dear scholars,

I am interested in finding out details about Milton learning about the Piedmont attack in April 1655 that prompted him to write the sonnet “Avenge, O Lord, thy slaughter’d saints” (1655). Some of the texts I have looked into say simply that news of the atrocity travelled fast. They point to heads of state like Cromwell getting formal notice. Documentation regarding Cromwell’s formal notice would be useful if there is nothing specific about Milton’s notice.

All speed appreciated. Many thanks.

--
Adios,
Angelica Duran