[Milton-L] Leaving the Milton listserv

Shannon Reed shannon.reed at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 16:13:12 EST 2017

Dear Colleagues:
Like Ryan Paul, I have been more of a lurker than a contributor. I have
appreciated the conversations and have occasionally benefited from advice
(it's thanks to this list and the encouragement of some members that I
began a successful marathon reading of *Paradise Lost* at Cornell College).

As you all consider how you want to handle the recent trolling on this
listserv, I wanted to endorse one of the suggestions that's been made:
ignore Terrance Lindall.

I used to be a member of the 18th-century listserv. Some years ago, that
list was similarly plagued--in their case by a fanatic devotee of the
Marquis de Sade.  That person hijacked every discussion and created a lot
of mischief.
The members of the listserv decided not to ban him, but they all agreed
never to respond to anything he posted.  The solution required the
agreement and the participation of every member--but it worked. They
ignored him and eventually he gave up.

Unlike some, I intend to continue lurking. My job has changed and I spend
more of my time reading about faculty development than about Milton these
days. I treasure the conversation here all the more since it keeps me
connected to what I've always valued in academe--listening to the smart
kids talk about interesting stuff.
Besides, if I want political BS, I can always check my facebook page.

As a sometimes Quaker, I hope you adopt the policy of shunning Mr. Lindall.
It worked in the 17th century, and it can work today.

Shannon

Shannon L. Reed, Ph.D.
Professor and Director, Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning
Regis University
Denver, CO