[Milton-L] ignore him to oblivion instead

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Sun Nov 5 09:58:50 EST 2017

Dear Miltonists:

All blessings on those who 'select' before opening. I am on two or three listservs and all of them are, at one time or another, bombed by what are called trolls. they do, indeed, feed on attention. i simply delete them till they fade away.

i only got involved in this latest kerfuffel (spelling?) because i thought we were getting too censorious and missing the point of the correctness movement. hate speech of one variety or another has been part of the American experience from the invention of the country as you know. and Fox News is only the latest in a long list where 'coded' hate speech is perfectly well understood by all. the current movement of women to make public the acts of men abusing their power is heartening to me and I wholeheartedly support it. And i certainly don't imagine not talking about sexual harrassment or any other abuse of power is the answer. but listening to hate speech, however it is coded, only feeds it. a dillemna? i don't think so. we who teach literature like P.L. have to be as clear as we can that Satan is a clever bastard and examine very carefully Blake's reading of Milton's God. Indeed, I am pretty sure that J.M. is as fond of Blake as Blake is of him and that P.R. is a more important contribution to theology than most of the work of the 'Fathers' of the Church. Indeed, we can thank J.M. as much for raising the crucial question as to the nature and location of the church as for his revelations of the nature of power and ITs location.

Semper Fidelis,  jim watt